Thursday, September 10, 2009

To be appreciated

I often hear about surveys conducted on employees, asking how important each type of 'reward' is. Things like bonuses, pay rise, promotion of course spring to mind. So what do I deem as most important?

Lately, I've realised that I would rank 'appreciation/recognition, especially from superiors' as the most important factor. All I really want is to know that I'm appreciated for what I do.

Take my current job at the mortgage firm. As an admin assistant, all I really need is to know is that my boss recognises the help I am to her. There was a period where she kept telling me that she preferred me over her other assistants, and that made me look forward to work so much. Heck, I think I would've happily worked for free!

And as for tutoring, I can be so motivated to prepare for lessons if the students were keen. If they weren't, I can hardly be bothered.

I think it comes with my personality. What I value is simply knowing that I matter to those around me. That I make a difference. That I am good at what I do.

Those conclusions led me to think about my career aspirations. It helped me work out why certain positions appealed, and why others made me cringe.

I can perhaps safely say that I wouldn't enjoy being the boss of my own business. I've always known that. Perhaps it's because there is no higher order to commend you for any achievements. Perhaps I'm just not satisfied with self-satisfaction.

I also think, being a lawyer would be pretty damn cool. But I don't look forward to that, because I have no confidence that I will excel in it. So I'd rather be the creme de la creme of some less demanding roles. That way I'll stand out. That way I'll shine.

Maybe that's not the right attitude. Maybe that's not the way to go. But for now, it seems to be what I want.

No comments: