Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A gambling problem


I always walk in hopeful. Anticipation of excitement and success overwhelm my thoughts, blinding me from the possibility of defeat. This time, I'll hit the Jackpot, get that Royal Flush, win a Straight Up Bet. I ignore the whispers of advice, persuading me to take it easy, to take it slow. Even closed doors are no barrier -- I charge them down mercilessly.

Once inside, I am forced to face reality. There are ups, yes, but also downs. And sometimes, it just spirals downwards like a vortex of doom. But do I realise? No. Past experiences suggests that I should just leave and cut my losses. But do I learn? No. I keep telling myself I'll win it back. I keep telling myself that victory is in the next hand.

Eventually, I do leave. When everything I came with is gone, when I have nothing more to lose, I leave.

This is why I should never gamble.

No comments: