Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dumplings

In a desperate attempt to avoid studying, I resorted to one of my favourite pastimes - wrapping dumplings!



It has taken me many years to master the method that my mum has taught me. Looking at the dumplings, I was reminded of one of mum's attitudes, which I find myself to have adopted.

Many people labour away for minute details. They expend copious amounts of time and effort to fine tune their work. Unfortunately, the final product often displays diminishing returns. In the end, you have to make a choice between efficiency and perfection.

Jen once taught me another method of wrapping dumplings:



It is no doubt prettier and more dainty, but it's fiddly and takes twice the time. Maybe some would think it's worth it. But mum generally, after ensuring a base level of quality, focuses on improving efficiency. In fact, I've picked up a lot of shortcut cooking tips from her.

So, after wrapping 30-odd dumplings the quick way, into the frying pan they go.



And voila -- a scrumptious meal.


1 comment:

blue said...

oh, the dumplings look yummy... I resorted to store bought ones for the most part