Tuesday, December 8, 2009

NaNoWriMo

A friend introduced me to NaNoWriMo, and excited the nerd in me. The idea of completing a 50,000-word piece of fiction in the 30 days of November seemed like a great idea.

In fact, I've signed up for it!

Yes, I know it's December now. Yes, I know there's a full year till the next writing window. And yes, I know I'll either forget or lose interest by then. But right now I'm pumped!

I also know that it'll be extremely difficult. At least for me. It's funny, because when I was a young kid, all I did was write, write, write. I loved writing, and I churned out pages and pages of this and that. It felt easy, too. Ideas just flowed through the pen and onto paper.

Then, gradually, as I grew up, my creativity waned. Suddenly, it was a struggle to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). No longer did I have brilliance brewing in my mind, fighting to be born through my penmanship. All the writing I ever did was the mandatory papers for school, and those times were often dominated with doses of writer's block.

Fingers crossed, that'll change. With any luck, the deadline, the challenge and the embarrassment should I fail to complete my task will motivate me to deliver 50,000 words of solid gold.

Fingers crossed.

No comments: